Friday 7 November 2014

Why I've started this blog...

Hi my name is Nicole. I am a 20 year old Scottish University student who has been living with allergies since the age of 4 and anaphylaxis since the age of 16. I may have only been living with anphylaxis (severe allergic reactions) for just over 4 years but in my 4 years of living my life with this condition my life has changed dramatically due to it. I don't let my allergies rule my life but I know there are limitations I have come across and will continue to come across for the rest of my life whilst living with allergies and anaphylaxis. I live with severe food allergies to: tree nuts, peanuts, fish, pears, maple syrup and blue cheese. I also have an intolerance to most dairy products. I suffer anaphylaxis to multiple medications as well as cosmetic products, in particular face wipes.

I have decided to start writing this blog because I feel that there are not enough resources out there to help young people come to terms with living life with this condition. When first diagnosed with anaphylaxis I felt completely isolated and lost. It literally felt like my world had been tipped upside down overnight and I found it extremely difficult adjusting to life with anaphylaxis. I want to help young people suffering from this condition as well as those newly diagnosed, and their parents, to come to terms with living life as a young person with allergies and anaphylaxis. I don't want any young person to feel that their allergies rule their life like I did at one point. I want to raise awareness regarding these conditions and give advice on how to get through the good as well as the bad times.

If you have any suggestions relating to topics you wish me to cover than please do not hesitate to contact me.

No comments:

Post a Comment